Sunday, September 14, 2008

meet me at the mall



Much like many blondes before me I have always felt some sort of a magnetic pull towards the mall. When I read this article I was in one word, jealous. Adriana Yoto and Michael Townsend awoke one morning to find their street re-named and a multi-million dollar mall being built down the street. Adamantly opposing it’s creation they decided that if they couldn’t beat it, they may as well join it. So they built an apartment in a 750 sq foot storage space that had been abandoned. Their one-week experiment turned into a four year project and what came of it was an extremely interesting first hand view of the mall.

Adriana Yoto has done a significant amount of research into malls and their new incarnation: lifestyle centers. As I mentioned in my previous post, lifestyle centers have become the new buzz word and Yoto paints an excellently satirical portrait of what these centre’s truly represent

Yoto’s website colincantread.com provides information about an eco-lifestyle mall in India and how each one of us can help the vision become a reality.

No comments: