Monday, September 15, 2008

Class 1 September 11, 2008

Humans Today as Cyborgs
Many questions were raised in the first lecture about if humans today are more machine than natural. Upon reflection of my own life and my day to day activities, I would have to agree that I am more machine. Everything manufactured in my home was created by machines; food processed by machines, the clothes I wear sewn together with the use of machines. Instead of trying to fight against this identity of cyborg and trying to relinquish our practical needs (where in the end we end up feeling guilty about the way we live). There should be an acceptance of the idea so that we can move forward to seek solutions that are adaptive to our lifestyle. We need to seek solutions that are beyond the bare minimum of sustaining, solutions that can sustain our culture as well.
-Judith

No comments: