Tuesday, September 30, 2008

Class Reflection September 25 2008

I think that Kaleigh beautifully and eloquently summarized the important aspects of our last class. Although I consistently make decisions pertaining to the colors of the clothing I am wearing, I haven’t spent much time examining color in the context of architecture. Like much of what we learn, Viake’s lecture opened by eyes to the complexity and history behind different colors. However, what I found most fascinating is color’s ability to evoke the similar emotion, or represent the same experience for many different people across different cultures.

Jae’s lecture on thermal energy was very interesting as well. Much like designing for the individual and the body, designing for thermal comfort is also important, especially a frigid climate like Winnipeg. I don’t think that I am alone in constantly feeling sweltering hot in studio and our other classes, but I know that a time will come where I will be feeling cold. I feel that finding ways to create rooms that harness the thermal energy that is being expended by its’ inhabitants, and store that energy until it is needed, is something that will soon be examined within design. Perhaps Jae’s lecture today was meant to stimulate those thoughts, if so I would say that it did the trick quite nicely.

No comments: