Monday, November 24, 2008

Class Reflection: November 20th

Professor Malory-Hill returned for a second lecture for the first half of this class. Her lecture focused on sound in architecture. I was really into learning about this, since it is a design subject I was mildly aware of but knew nothing specific. The aspect of the lecture that stuck with me was definatley the evolution of music being so influenced by the architecture it was created in. It is so interesting to explore the minor details in life that have influenced the major parts of out history. It really brings home the fact that we are a part of interconnected SYSTEMS that govern the flow of our lives.

Ed Epp took over in the second section, and shared his research into flood architecture. He has had so much hands on exposure on the subject, which I think is fantastic. I thought of Edward Burtynsky's photography exhibit Manufactured Landscapes when seeing Ed's images of the Chinese floodway. Very indutrial, and intense. I think Ed's passion on the subject is a realistic course to take considering the frequency of natural disasters plaguing the planet in recent years. The approach in China does not seem to be an effective solution, and it brings me back to professor McLaughlin's lecture on letting nature control it's own foces by working with, and not against it.

No comments: