Thursday, October 30, 2008

Class Reflection: October 23rd

A day away from school! Our second field trip was to visit the Jeld-Wen showroom. The presenter and sales manager gave a thourough presentation with an emphasis on the sustainable practices employed by the company. Although a successful presentaion, I agree with Judith in her hesitation to take them as serious environmetalists. Sadly, "being green" is a marketing gimmick these days. It is getting harder and harder for the consumer to determine what really is an eco friendly product. I felt that marketing was all Jeld-Wen saw in sustainable, even down to the choice of the renewal of an old building, which adds to their image. Another note in support of my opinion is the fact that these "green" chemicals are only available in their premium line, not to mention the use of PVC. Clearly it is not a universal concern for the company.
Again Judith's comment on their products seeming suburb like is the exact feeling I had. I myself am not a fan of artificial wood. Also, I was iritated by the weight put on their recycling practices. It is clearly beneficial to reuse excess materials in processing, but it is still new material. Post consumer recylcing and reuse are the practices we need to incorpoate to really lighten to load of industrial production inflicts on the environment.

No comments: