Wednesday, December 3, 2008

Class Reflection: Last Class!

It is incredible to think that we are almost through an entire semester. It was a long time, that seemed some how to fly by all at the same time. I feel as though everyone around me has learned so much, and already come such a long was as designers. This class did exactly what Jae intended it to: stimulate out minds and support our design process and understanding. I am happy to say that I have learned alot from this class and have developed a strong appreciation for the importance of the systems that weave everything we interact with together. This has also scared and even overwhelmed me in that the considerations that should be addressed as designers are endless.

The term came to a close with a lecture from a German green roof expert (who is the wife of the German landscape architect who presented in a previous class). I was not aware of the specifications that came with green roofs. This just goes to show how far ahead Germany is. It is so amazing that they have legislation that forces people to compensate for any destruction of nature! If only we could follow in their footsteps. The only way for major change to take place is through the government. We saw this in the comparison of areas on either side of the American border, along the Alberta area. I enjoyed seeing the projects that she had done, they made me even more interested in landscape as a focus. I love the idea of picking out specific trees to fit in a certain space. It really must feel good to be a part of bringing nature into a space.

No comments: